Saturday, January 21, 2006

Browser Update

Opera's non-support of Rich Text Format (RTF) editing meant I couldn't use Gmail's HTML email editor, or this blog's one. So it had to go. Luckily, I discovered K-Meleon, an open source browser based on Mozilla/Gecko, a little like FireFox, but more customisable, and less user-friendly when it comes to changing settings, which takes some looking around since there are so many settings to change. It's been running perfectly and is amazingly fast. It's being developed by a small community of volunteer-developers.

I'm actually using the K-MeleonCCF 0.04 Final version, created by Hao Jiang, which has some great extras like a powerful ad-blocker, which I've been testing on my favourite sites, and is working perfectly. No ads!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or you could upgrade to Opera 9 when it comes. There is a technical preview out already that supports it, so the final version should be out shortly.

Richard Phillips said...

Thanks. I'll be sure to give it a go when it comes out. But I have to add that I wasn't impressed with Opera's lack of an ad-blocker; for those few short hours that I used Opera I had to install Ad-Muncher as a standalone programme to do that job. Open source browsers seem to offer much more in this respect.